Occupational Health Center
Flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat, and sometimes the lungs. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk of serious flu complications. The best way to prevent flu is by getting a flu shot each year. It is the responsibility of all team members to keep themselves, their families, and the patients of HMH safe and healthy.
2019-2020 Flu Prevention and Vaccination Policy
Flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat, and sometimes the lungs. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk of serious flu complications. The best way to prevent flu is by getting a flu shot each year.
It is the responsibility of all team members to keep the patients of Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH), themselves and their families, safe and healthy. Starting on October 1st, Occupational Health will be offering the seasonal flu vaccine to all team members, physicians, licensed independent practitioners, and adult volunteers.
Our Mandatory Influenza Vaccination policy applies to any facility owned, leased, managed and/or operated by HMH, and all active employed team members and active non-employed staff of HMH as defined below:
- Active Employed Team Members – includes full-time, part-time, per diem, or temporary team This definition includes both clinical and non-clinical staff.
- Active Non-Employed/Third-Party Staff – generally defined as individuals who have been issued an HMH permanent or temporary ID Individuals included are those authorized to work and/or observe work within and on behalf of HMH, whether paid or unpaid, but not employed by HMH. This definition includes both clinical and non-clinical workers, physicians, licensed independent practitioners, members of the professional staff (as defined by the MEC) , temporary workers, contracted and subcontracted workers, students, researchers, adult volunteers, clergy, representatives from pharmaceutical or other organizations (that would be identified through the Vendormate or other vendor management system) and agency personnel.
The policy requires that effective June 1, 2019, as a condition of employment, appointment to medical, residency, or allied health staff or access to all HMH facilities, workforce and extended community, must receive an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved exemption. To be compliant with this requirement, members of the workforce and extended community must do one of the following (A or B) by December 1st of each year:
- Receive the influenza vaccine, which will be provided free of charge through Occupational Health/Employee to team members, employed physicians, adult volunteers, and Licensed Independent Practitioners (MD, DO, NP, PA) credentialed at HMH hospitals.
- Provide Occupational Health with proof of immunization, if vaccinated some place other than Occupational Health. Proof of immunization must be verifiable, include the heading of the institution, name of the team member, date of vaccination, location of injection, provider signature, manufacturer, lot number and expiration date of vaccine.
- Comply with the designated procedure for obtaining an approved exemption each year by October 1st, as described in the Influenza policy under EXEMPTIONS.
The exemption forms will be reviewed and acted upon by the HMH Influenza Exemption Committee, which will notify team members of the committee’s decision within 10 business days of submitting the required documentation. Team members who receive an approved exemption will be required to mask during flu season.
Please see the following policy and FAQs. Flu vaccination schedules and Occupational Health contact information are available at the right.
- Influenza Policy for the 2019-2020 Influenza Season
- Influenza Attestation Form
For team members who have received exemptions
- Flu Policy FAQs
- CDC Flu Resource Center
Flu Vaccination/ FIT Testing/ Tuberculosis Schedules
Click on your site’s Flu Vaccination/FIT Testing/Tuberculosis schedule for the days, times and locations through October 2019. Remember to bring your photo ID badge with you.
- Bayshore Medical Center Nov. Schedule
- HMH Residential Care - Bayshore Nov. Schedule
- HMH Residential Care - Ocean Grove Nov. Schedule
- HMH Residential Care - Shrewsbury Nov. Schedule
- HMH Residential Care - Wall Nov. Schedule
- HUMC Nov. Schedule
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center Nov. Schedule
- JFK Medical Center Nov. Schedule
- Ocean Medical Center Nov. Schedule
- Off-Site Locations Nov. Schedule
- Raritan Bay Medical Center - Old Bridge Nov. Schedule
- Raritan Bay Medical Center - Perth Amboy Nov. Schedule
- Riverview Medical Center Nov. Schedule
- Southern Ocean Medical Center Nov. Schedule